Track & Field Gear
Primary gear needed for track & field are a good pair of running shoes, a pair of spikes, throwing or jump shoes for competition, and a basic wrist sport watch (with a stopwatch) for distance runners.
To order Montgomery specific gear, use this link and code viking6v8q!! by Feb. 17 to order.
Additional gear that is recommended, but not required, include the following:
- Moisture wicking socks to prevent blisters
- Compression sleeves to prevent shin splints (a limited number of team sleeves are available for rent)
- A foam roll for recovery/injury prevention (the team has some available for use after practice)
- A massage stick for recovery/injury prevention (the team has some available for use after practice)
- A Garmin watch - expensive but valuable for distance runners wishing to gather more data
- Rocktape or KT Tape to assist with injury prevention
- Arch supports like Superfeet or something similar
Visit one of our locally owned running stores, either Fleet Feet Sports on Third Street or Heart & Sole Sports on Fourth Street, to be fitted by trained staff (many of whom are current or former track & field athletes and coaches). All student athletes receive 20% off trainers and spikes at both stores.
Coach Mel works at Fleet Feet and can personally fit you for shoes and/or spikes. Text her at 619-204-8266 to set up a time, or come to Spike Night on Friday, Feb. 24 from 6-8 p.m. at Fleet Feet (parents will receive a discount that night as well).